Thursday, March 12, 2009

Theme Thursday... animals
























This is my first thematic post, (find the other culprits here) and because it's animals, I just couldn't resist. I'm a total softie for animals, wishing I could make things better for them in general, and sharing my life and home with many over the years. I've never counted the number of cats and dogs I've rescued, saved, neutered, fostered and loved, but I know they add up to dozens and dozens and dozens. Birds and bunnies, horses and pooches, kittens and cats and even turtles, possums and squirrels have quartered with me at one time or another.




Those helpless little faces, those eyes begging for love and understanding. How could I not answer the call?








And today I wish to share a little secret: I also rescue homeless stuffed animals.



I know there are more of you out there who share my compassion for these, the cast-aside, the forgotten and forlorn. They number in the millions; helpless creatures once-treasured for their fine fake fur, silken ears and polyester-plumped little bellies, their bright glassy eyes now clouded with despair.



Stained with the tears of old sorrows, their hapless little faces peer hopefully from the shelves of thrift shops and second-hand stores. Their threadbare little limbs poke out of yard-sale boxes, tossed there with the callous indifference of capitalists bent on gleaning some further mean and meager sum - as if all their years of dedication were not enough penance...
















Never mind how they were there for us when we needed them: when we were frighted of the dark or when our hearts were broken, or when we needed someone to hug when no one understood. They listened without judgment or censure.

Like tokens of love from a now-defunct relationship, we are embarrassed now by their very presence in our domain. They remind us of our fragility; they frighten us with their knowledge of our deepest fears. And so they are scorned, cast away, abandoned, forsaken.



Here now are the faces of some of the wretched and forgotten.

See how their faces are careworn; etched with love passed on, tattered by disappointments and frayed with anxiety.

See how they ask for nothing except to be loved.

Can you turn away, unmoved?

Open your heart and your home to those who have served us well in our time of need. Hug an animal today... stuffed or otherwise...

(It'll be our little secret.)










Like the Velveteen Rabbit, it's the loving that makes it all real.



21 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Princess would love all your animal friends. But don't worry; I won't etll her. Besides, her Mum wouldn't be thrilled. I bring her too much stuff, as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I just never knew. Never realized. I feel so sad that I have neglected such a worthy group. I will try to change my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOooooooohh ! Lovely. Pink panther and the hérrison (hedgehog ?!) are awesome.

    I kept mine and now my two years old play with them. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you joined the Theme Thursday :-) I have a nice little (or not so little...) collection of stuffed animals too. Who can resist a teddy bear, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if somebody would do stuffed animals for this week's theme. Good for you, Patrice! This is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man that is a lot of toys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter had a huge stuffed animal assembly. I knew she would outgrow it eventually so one time she lined them all up and I videotaped while she introduced each one of them by name. The older she gets, the more precious that tape becomes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them all!Great pictures and post!I was tidying the romm of my son lately and I took a pictures of his toys too,couldn't resist,I'm going to post it on my blog to add it to theme thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Moly do you foster them out or have adoptive parents or do they all become a part of your collection?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha ha... actually, not so funny...

    I've drawers and bins and bags full. I always pick the ones that have a certain enigmatic quality... a bit ragged and careworn but with personality and presence. Perhaps, like the Velveteen Rabbit, they are just about to become real..

    I fantasize about putting them all together in a room of their own one day. A little spooky for some, but to me they seem to whisper sweetly amongst themselves, as benign and comforting as soft music in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I too am a lover of animals real or soon to be real... The Velveteen Rabbit is one of my all time favorite books too. I have a little stuffed cat that was given to me by my grandma when I was about three years old. His little neck as be restuffed more times than I can count. His fur is all worn off but he still has the knowing eyes I love. You see, I wasn't allowed to have a cat when I was growing up. Dad hated cats and my mother was afraid of them. I have two beautiful huge cats now but my old stuffed one is still my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the velveteen rabbit was my favorite book when i was little! when i had my baby, my mom gave me a copy of the book. i can't wait until he's old enough that i can read it to him

    ReplyDelete
  13. always loved them as we all did :)

    -Kels

    you are good to take care of them even after.... death.. hehehe separation i should say ... from their families.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Patrice, welcome to the mad house! Very sad little fluffies. My mother used to wash and dress my dolls long after I lost interest because she felt sorry for them. I can't remember what happened to my kid's teddies and things,I think they were forwarded to more needy homes than ours! I hope yours find their way somewhere where they can give a little joy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are adorable. I have a growing collection of bears.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must admit, this made me a little choked up...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bunnies!!! Bunnies!!!

    When I drive past the thrift store tomorrow and see that window full of stuffed animals, I will be strongly tempted to rescue them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too have the same secret, although I do not have anywhere near the number that you have. I give them to the grandkids and keep a good bunch of them here for when they visit. They all have names and they ask for them by their names. They each have their own collection. Even the grandsons. I think that is great. They even talk to them and have to sleep with them when here.

    Thank you for the wonderful post and for joining us in TT. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought I posted a "wonderful!" to you yesterday. Weird. Well, I still think your menagerie and your post are wonderful. I like how you made it real. Animals is animals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't hate me because I've never liked stuffed animals. :O I love the real ones more than enough to compensate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh i missed this post last thursday!!! I love it.... thanks for rescuing the stuffed animals!

    oh and I love the kitty paw pics!

    ReplyDelete