Thursday, March 19, 2009

My vegetable garden...


Back in the 1970's when I was a struggling artist (oh dear - I still am!) beginning to make and show things, I worked in fabric and fiber. I'd been a sculpture major in art school, and I loved working with form and texture and color - all in the same art form. Fiber was hip. Fiber was now. Fiber was where it was hapnin'. It still is, but I have moved on...

I guess I am no longer hip or hapnin'... (heh).


For the Thursday Theme, I stewed (groan) over what to post on "Vegetables." Rummaging in my rummage room last week, I'd come across one of my old soft sculptures... Aha! Cabbage is a vegetable, right? Well, it will have to do. I love cabbage - and I owe a couple of years of living to the sale of these cabbages - or cabbage roses, as some called them. I've never been any good at growing a vegetable garden, though my flowers, shrubs and trees flourish. But this fellow seems to be an exception. After all, he's managed to survive over thirty years with me!














Ahhhh... pear blossoms from a cabbage's perspective.

19 comments:

  1. VERY nice! You are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative what you did!

    And I have to say that is quite a cabbage!

    take care
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post,I don't like cabbage much but this one is very pretty.Love the last sentence,lol.
    Great shot!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks quite in his element out in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat soft sculpture! And it blends in so well with your garden. Heh, heh! Great take on the theme, Patrice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol. i didn't know there we soft sculptures. aha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice soft sculpture. I love cabbage, it's a good wholesome vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:15 PM

    Hey that's pretty cool. And so realistic. Still have some cabbage left over fom St. Paddy's Day. But not for long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the Mr. Cabbage is in love with Miss Pear Blossom. Can't you just feel it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want one! Oh, I want one. Great pictures. Made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow; great. And I saw your earlier post. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfull. Beautifull. Amazing. Is there any other way to say it ? Wow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww Patrice, my ancient puter and poor connection won't show me the photos! One more week and I'm on ADSL2 so visits to these lovely photo blogs can actually happen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice sculpture and photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the best looking cabbage I have seen in an age.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Megan; I want one, too. That great satiny color green reminds me of my grandmother's coverlet. However, coleslaw will definitely seem murderous for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hullo!
    Love your pics, esp. the second one.
    And you are one very creative cabbage-patch doll.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is hilarious. Pear blossoms from the perspective of a cloth cabbage. You've just totally made my day with such quirkiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. great sculpture. wanted to reach through and touch.

    ReplyDelete