Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wild Things... Theme Thursday

When despair for the world grows in me... I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought or grief. I come into the presence of still water. And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of world and am free.
- Wendell Berry
I wish I were with some of the wild people that run in the woods, and know nothing about accomplishments. - Joanna Baillie


It seems no matter how we hack away and groom and "landscape" our surroundings, nature will persevere the moment our eyes and energies turn away. The spirit of the wild is stronger than civilized humankind.

Even goldfish born and raised in the tiny tanks of a Wal-Mart know how to be wild when given over to the possibilities of freedom in the natural world.

Art may imitate wild nature; less often does it dare to place itself in the midst of it, and when it does, it may come out second best - John Hart
They could just take you up yonder, honey, you're already wild and blue...
- John Anderson
And some only seem to be tamed. If you catch them unawares - wildness shines from their eyes, and shows in their actions...
Wild skies, wild animals, wild woods, wild horses - the spirit of the wild, wild at heart.

Susan Boyle singing The Rolling Stones Wild Horses

9 comments:

  1. I like that first quote; it reminds me of the places where I hang out for the same reasons.

    Yeah, humans never did really tame cats, did we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful pictorial and text based explication of a truly beautiful and profound idea. Wildness relates to the sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your wild journey! thanks for sharing!

    the photos of that white plant are Wild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the pics (the kitty pics especially). So beautiful! So wild! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos! The sky in the last one is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh those flashing green cat eyes! I know them well.

    The trees are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely meditative piece. Thanks, Patrice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pixie-bob (half bobcat and half domestic cat).
    She's not that far from her wild roots
    but chooses to love us anyway.
    You can really see it in her eyes.
    Loved the song as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am wild about the wild photos! Oh...that horse! And those skies! My husband & I would like to know if you could adopt us. I am a good house-cleaner...something to think about :-)

    PS: went to the link you emailed me. AMAZING stuff...I was drooling at my desk...

    ReplyDelete