Sunday, February 16, 2014

Searching for Signs

Just four days ago...  Snow!  Got to get that barn finished!

It was a beautiful day today in NE Georgia.  After a chilly start, the temperature rose into the 50's, and the sun was warm on my face as I puttered about the yard looking for signs of Spring.  Not much goin' on.  Mud in the sun and ice in that shady spots, but I knew there was at least one spot that was keeping my dream of Spring alive, so I headed for the edge of the woods down by the shop and there...
Today - Lillies!  Should be opening in the next day or two.  Amazing how fast things can change.            

I found the faithful Lilllies shooting up and full of buds.  Last years leaves make a lovely contrast with the bright, bright green - almost blue-green of the leaves and stalks.  Or perhaps they are still a bit blue from being buried in snow!  A few more days like today, and buds will be forming everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. Lilies already? Wow, you guys really hit early! I know, you did mention that, but seeing it like this really drives the point home. If there are any Crocuses or Daffodils above ground here, they're frozen solid and buried under a foot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it weren't for the hot-as-hell summers, NE Ga would be weather paradise for such as me. How well I remember life in NY and Vermont - where there can be snow in the woods in June!

      Delete
  2. To look at earth again, not covered in snow! Thanks for reminding me that it could still happen - spring feels a long ways away here in NE Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send you a balmy breeze. But a warm wish for an early Spring is the best I can do. Thx for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Hello Patrice, Found your blog via Casey, methinks I'll stop awhile if that's to your liking?

    ReplyDelete