Friday, September 01, 2006


This is what I do... I paint.

Mural for Gainesville Bank and Trust. Located in an Hispanic neighborhood, the mural depicts scenes from Mexico to Argentina as it wraps around the far wall behind the counter. I had to bid for this job, and my competition was a Mexican muralist out of Florida. He was cheaper - but when he learned the painting had to be finished in three weeks and mostly done at night (due to all the other tradesmen's schedules), he declined. I had a wonderful time working in that neighborhood, eating delectable Mexican and Ecuadorian foods from places where they did not speak English. And even though I am a strawberry blonde WASP, everyone was gracious about my doing the painting.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you -- I think you sent me a harrowing tale of yellow jackets (a never forgotten enemy of my Arizona childhood...along with "Big Black Bees" (said in a shrill, near-panic little girl voice)). You're right, at least my invaders weren't interested in me, personally.

    This is a really lovely painting -- it makes me ache to go for a long, meandering walk, maybe with a thermos of coffee...insect dangers or no.

    Oh! I'm hardly ever presumptive enough to recommend books to people, but for more tales on the frontlines of the natural world: "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" by Annie Dillard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, That was me... Thank you for what you said about my painting.. Soon I will post more work - more work of a personal nature rather than my "production" work (murals)...

    Great book recommendation BTW, I know Annie Dillard's work very well - having read "Pilgrim" many years ago and again a time or two since. I shall offer up one of my own: Though I am not a huge fan of Stephen King, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - is somewhat of a departure.... I really enjoyed this book and to say why would give it away...

    A walk with a thermos of coffee - right up my alley... Climbed the big hill with my coffee this am.. . stepping carefully around the fire ant mounds..

    Thank you for the commentary and conversation...

    ReplyDelete